21 December 2009

reaching out

recently i was talking with a friend and she was explaining to me how she was going through something difficult late at night. she mentioned that she should have called someone, but didn't. and within time, it passed. now it wasn't a life-threatening experience, but it was enough to keep her awake at night, throughout the night.

i'm sure we've all been there before in some capacity. having one of those restless nights, when you just need someone to talk to, letting you know it's going to be okay and reassure you that you're not alone.

but sometimes we allow those life experiences to separate us, more than unite us.

because isn't it just easier to try and forge through something on our own instead of reaching out?

when we reach out, there's fear and vulnerability associated.
it let's people in to see our pain and the reality that we're not perfect.
and by doing that, it shows that we're broken, in need of love and support.

in this already broken world, maybe we can reach out to one another more often,

helping to heal this place,

one person at a time.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you Beth. I find myself telling those I care about that they can call me any time of the day or night and I'll be there to support them. I know in my heart, though, that they won't.
    But I look at myself and know that I don't like to burden people with my own issues. I have had such a hard time trying to rely on others these past five years. It's totally against my nature to ask for help or to lean on someone else.
    So how do we do it? I found that the first time you ask, it becomes just a little easier. Not completely, but a little bit.
    God wants us to open our hearts to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know how to contact you so will do it this way, saw you good article in the paper this morning, want to send greetings to your mom this Christmas Season, many fond memories of all our work times together.
    Rollie
    rwulrich@bnin.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. stephanie, i think it just takes that first time. there's risk involved, but in the end it's worth it. blessings to you! :)

    ReplyDelete