05 March 2010

will vs. desire

recently i've been battling the difference between God's will and my heart's desire....wondering, how do you balance God's will to be done with the desires of your heart?

as we pray in 'the Lord's prayer,' we simply state "thy will be done". not my will, or my friend's will, or anyone elses, but "thy will be done". we are asking for God's will to be done in our lives. Jesus even sets the example by praying this same prayer to His Father, "not my will, but yours be done" (luke 42:46).

and i understand Jesus' prayer and the point of God's will being done, but i wrestle with praying for the desires of my heart.

in psalm 20:4 it says, "may He give you the desire of your heart...". wow, God wants to give us the desires of our hearts. and after reading this, i'm at a loss at what to do...

how can i pray for both the desires of my heart and for God's will to be done? because....
what if my desires and God's will are contrary to one another?

which leads me to wonder, am i brave enough then to desire my Father's will?

No comments:

Post a Comment